Contractors Health and Safety Assessment Scheme CHAS Help Advice Assistance Consultant
Understanding Contractors Health and Safety Assessment Scheme and Its Benefits
A group of health and safety professionals from UK worked hand-in-hand with the Association of London Government to develop Contractors Health and Safety Assessment Scheme back in 1997. In 2001, this scheme became a web-based system, but what exactly is CHAS and what are its benefits?
Contractors Health and Safety Assessment Scheme: An Overview
The Contractors Health and Safety Assessment Scheme is one of the leading health and safety pre-qualification schemes in the United Kingdom. This scheme is used by buyers and sellers, including over 140 local authorities. This is a non-commercial scheme which is available to suppliers – those who offer goods and services, as well as to buyers – organisations who are looking for competent suppliers. CHAS offers information and assurances about health and safety systems and competence of the organisation assessed and accredited. This scheme has two main objectives:
- Improve the health and safety standards of UK.
- Lessen the duplicated safety applications for suppliers and buyers. This saves time and resources during the first phase of competence assessment.
Despite the fact that the CHAS has been developed by local government bodies, this scheme is available for public and private organisations. This scheme is not only available for construction companies. In fact, it also assesses health and safety of different types of suppliers, including health care services, designers, and consultants. The Contractors Health and Safety Assessment Scheme helps when short-listing consultants, contractors, and suppliers. So how does it work?
- The organisation submits an application to CHAS. When they do, clients will know that they are able to meet the standards of health and safety compliance.
- Once the application is approved, the details about the organisation will be loaded into the CHAS database where potential clients and CHAS members will be able to review the information.
Here are the reasons why many organisations should apply for Contractors Health and Safety Assessment Scheme:
- Compliance – If the organisation is approved, it shows that they comply with the health and safety laws.
- More Opportunities – Potential clients are more willing to work with the organisation; therefore, increasing their opportunities to do business.
- Time and resources – Being CHAS approved will aid in improving the organisation’s productivity.
- Health and Safety Standards – The organisation will also be able to improve their health and safety practices.
- Commercial Opportunities – Being CHAS approved will also open the door for more contracts.
The Benefits of CHAS
- Participating in the Contractors Health and Safety Assessment Scheme helps both suppliers and buyers.
- Organisations can prove that they comply with the essential areas of the health and safety law.
- Once the supplier complies, they are permitted to work for all the CHAS buyers.
- Inconsistency will be lessened.
- CHAS provides guidance with regards to the organisation’s safety management. They also offer tips for improvement.
- CHAS lowers the risk of complications since it is an accepted standard.
The approval and evaluation process of an organisation’s competence and compliance may take time. In addition, a supplier might be able to meet the health and safety standards of a particular buyer but not others.